MIRECC / CoE
Newsletter | Winter 2022 | South Central MIRECC
New Resources to Explain Complementary and Alternative Approaches to Treating Headaches and Acceptance and Commitment Training for Communities
Our Clinical Educator Grant program helps VISN 16 and 17 mental health providers create and share resources that improve treatment for rural and other Veterans who face barriers to care. We give these products to Veterans, VA providers, and the public for free. Visit our Clinical Educator Products webpage to access all of our products.
Complementary and Alternative Approaches to Treating Headaches
Developers: Joshua Hamer, PhD, Archana Purushotham, MD, PhD, Paul Sloan, PhD, Yvette Degazon, MD, and Sharon Loggins, DC
This set of educational videos and brochures explain complementary and alternative approaches to treating headaches (chiropractic, biofeedback, acupuncture). It includes Veteran and clinician brochures for each treatment approach. Videos are brief (5-10 minutes) and explain how each approach may be used to decrease headache symptoms for Veteran and clinician audiences.
ACT on Health Toolkit
Developers: Lilian Dindo, PhD, Gala True, PhD, Tracey L. Smith, PhD, Derrecka Boykin, PhD, Merlyn Rodrigues, MA, Ken Woods, MBA, McKenzie K. Roddy, PhD, Raquel D. Gonzalez, BA, and Ray Facundo, MSW
The ACT on Health Toolkit helps VA medical center mental health leadership and clinicians implement 1-day acceptance and commitment training (ACT) workshops in community-based settings. The toolkit:
- Supports collaboration between VA staff and partners at community-based organizations.
- Provides brief overview of ACT and the ACT evidence base.
- Is organized into the workshop’s implementation phases.
- Details products that can be used to engage VA/community stakeholders and workshop participants.
- Includes links to online trainings and cyber-seminars. Also has links to brief videos to publicize the workshops and train ACT clinicians.
- Is NOT a “how-to” guide on becoming an ACT therapist.
Last updated: January 28, 2022
In this Issue
— Affiliate Profile: Dr. Joshua Hamer
— Meet the SCMIRECC-IQuESt-CeMHOR DEI Committee
— DEI Corner
— DEI Calendar of Events
— Anchor Site Highlights
— New Clinical Eduction Resources
— Publication Highlights
— Pilot Grant Opportunity
— MIDAS Consultation Service
SC MIRECC Menu
Leadership & Staff
Little Rock Fellowship
CBOC Grand Rounds
New and Featured
Products by Topic