MIRECC / CoE
Newsletter | Spring 2022 | South Central MIRECC
New and Updated Resources to Get Started with CPAP for Sleep Apnea and Discuss Delirium with Families and Caregivers
Our Clinical Educator Grant program helps VISN 16 and 17 mental health providers create and share resources that improve treatment for rural and other Veterans who face barriers to care. We give these products to Veterans, VA providers, and the public for free. Visit our Clinical Educator Products webpage to access all of our products.
A Good Fit: Making CPAP Work for You
Developers: Adeel Meraj, MD, Muhammad Rais Baig, MD, and Lauren Koep, PsyD
This user-friendly guide helps Veterans get started and relaxed with using a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) mask for obstructive sleep apnea. The guide:
- Defines obstructive sleep apnea and how it is diagnosed and treated.
- Gives tips for troubleshooting equipment-related problems with a CPAP therapist.
- Helps Veterans identify helpful and unhelpful thoughts about CPAP to improve their experience.
- Includes relaxation exercises that can be used when wearing a CPAP mask and tips for healthy sleep.
Delirium: Information for Families & Caregivers
Developers: Juliann Tea, MD, Ali Abbas Asghar-Ali, MD, and SC MIRECC, Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, and Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System investigators
This brochure is intended to help families and caregivers of Veterans understand and manage delirium.
- Defines delirium and how it differs from dementia.
- Outlines risk factors for and symptoms of delirium.
- Provides tips for family members and caregivers on what to do if they detect delirium in Veterans.
- Describes how medical teams address delirium and what happens after discharge.
Last updated: May 19, 2022
In this Issue
— SC MIRECC Welcomes New Co-Director
— Grant Writing Scholars 2022
— 2022 BEST Fellows
— DEI Corner: Adding Pronouns and VHA ODEI Inclusivity Campaign
— DEI Calendar of Events
— Anchor Site Highlights
— New Clinical Eduction Resources
— Publication Highlights
— Pilot Grant Opportunity
— MIDAS Consultation Service
SC MIRECC Menu
Leadership & Staff
Little Rock Fellowship
CBOC Grand Rounds
New and Featured
Products by Topic