MIRECC / CoE
ACT Strategies Guide | South Central MIRECC
About Acceptance and Commitment Therapy Strategies Guide for Anxiety and Trauma-Related Problems in Living
This guide supplements the current VA Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) for ACT for Depression (ACT-D) protocol. It includes information and treatment materials relevant to anxiety and trauma-related disorders. It is meant for clinicians with training and experience in the ACT model, such as ACT-D EBP or similar training. This is not a treatment protocol.
- The guide starts with a discussion of clinical anxiety and exposure therapy from an ACT perspective. It includes case examples.
- It is organized into sections according to the core ACT processes.
- The introductory sections:
- Give clinicians a brief overview of each process as it relates to anxiety and trauma.
- Suggest uses for the handouts and exercises.
- List exercises and activities from the VA’s ACT Coach and Mindfulness Coach mobile/tablet applications to support work relevant to process areas.
- The handouts and exercises for Veterans:
- Were developed by the authors or adapted from various empirically supported ACT protocols for anxiety, trauma, and depression.
- May be selected and used by clinicians as needed for individual case conceptualization with Veterans.
- Published 2022
Jeffry S. Bethay, PhD, BCBA, Jonathan Weinstein, PhD, and Whitney Stubbs, PhD
What Do You Think About This Product?
Let us know by answering this 2-minute anonymous survey.
Use of these Materials and Finding VA Health Care
Please note that the health care information provided in these materials is for educational purposes only. It does not replace the role of a medical practitioner for advice on care and treatment. If you are looking for professional medical care, find your local VA healthcare center by using the VA Location Directory. This page may contain links that will take you outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked websites.
Other products you might like...
Last updated: October 7, 2022